Here are a few hair secrets I have locked away in my little beauty closet. When I die I can’t take them with me, so I figured I’d share these gems with you. You’re welcome in advance…lol. Happy Wednesday my lovely Hair-nistas!!!!
1. Bye, Bye Flyaways – Hate those little stray hairs that stick up on your head or around your face?? Go to your laundry closet & grab 1-2 fabric softener sheets, rub them gently over the top of your head whereever the flyaway strands exist. (Yes, I’m serious it works!) Also, when you’re lotioning your body & have a little lotion left on your palms, just run your fingers through your hair. Two products I love for flyaways – Sunsilk Hairapy Hydra Tlc 24/7 Creme ($9.99, amazon.com) & Garnier Fructis Style Sleek & Shine Anti-Humidity Milk ($4.00, drugstores). I apply Sunsilk Hairapy Hydra Tlc 24/7 Creme before I blowdry my hair. I only apply a quarter-size amount to my ends & a dime-size amount to the front of my head, where flyaways are common. I use Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Anti-Humidity Smoothing Milk when my hair is dry. I apply a small amount throughout my hair & on my extensions. It smoothes away all stray hairs. Both products smell amazing too!
2. Paper Towel Power – After you get out of the shower do you use a regular bath towel to dry your hair? Believe it or not, using a paper towel to gently remove water from your tresses absorbs more water & prevents frizz. Your hair will end up less frizzy because the paper towel does’t create as much friction as a bath towel.
3. Slow Down On Protein Products – Protein – enriched products are all the rage right now. What consumers don’t realize is that you can put too much protein in your hair causing the hair to become dry, brittle, & weak. A deep protein treatment should only be used once every 2-3 months.
4. Use Your Tootbrush On Your Hair – Sometimes the hair around your crown area can become extremely flat & lifeless. Many women reach for a comb & immediately begin back-combing their hair only to look in the mirror & find Snooki from The Jersey Shore staring back at them. Also, using a comb to tease hair actually rips your hair strands causing major breakage. Use a toothbrush to gently back-comb the hair around the top of your head. This will create volume & lift without ripping your hair to shreds.
5. Use Hot Rollers for Hollywood Hair – To create big, soft Old-Hollywood curls opt for a hot roller set. Using hot rollers promotes healthy hair because the heat is not as harsh compared to using a large barrel curling iron. Hot rollers create smooth, silky hair while eliminating all frizz. I use Jilbere de Paris Ceramic Tools Porcelain Series Professional Hair Setter ($21.99). It comes with 12 large rollers & you can buy more rollers seperately if needed. I bought mine at Sally Beauty Store.
6. Finding the Right Hair Color for YOU – The trick to finding the right hair color is to complement your skin’s undertones. If you have: Pink/Blue Undertones – Use deep browns, reds, or blonds. Choose ash, golden, or honey highlights for added contrast & depth. Yellow Undertones – Use a deep, rich base color, such as mahogany, dark chocolate, auburn, or chestnut. Get highlights in shades of deep copper, red, cinnamon, or burgundy. These colors will help neutralize the yellow in your skin. Red Undertones – Try not to over process your hair by going too blond & going too dark. Stay away from a yellow or golden hair color also. Stick with a honey brown or golden base color. You can add rich, caramel highlights for a sun-kissed appearance.
7. Never Tell Your Stylist You Want Bangs – Usually when a girl says she wants bangs she really means, “I’m hormonal, I’m having a bad hair, I hate everyone & new bangs will make everything better.” Try to overcome that impulse feeling for at least a week & if you still truly desire bangs, talk about it throughly with your hairstylist. Not everyone views bangs the same so be sure to bring a clear photo of the look you want.
8. Use A Humidifier – Hair is constantly exposed to dry air, heat styling, etc., causing our beautiful tresses to become parched hay-like strands. Using a humidifier at night will distribute needed moisture back into your hair reigniting healthy, full, soft locks.
9. Love Your Scalp – Too much product build up on your scalp could be the reason your hair is a slightly unruly. This could slow hair growth, clog hair follicles, & weaken hair strands. Use Sea Breeze Astringent ($5.00, drugstores) on your scalp. Apply with a cotton ball, then wash your hair as usual.
10. Olive Oil Isn’t Just For Cooking – Indian women always have soft, silky, thick hair. What’s their secret? For centuries Indian women have been using olive oil to treat their tresses. Olive oil works as a natural conditioner. It helps to make your hair softer & more manageable. You can also add fresh rosemary to the olive oil. Rosemary is well known for its tonic effects & is also a natural conditioner. It is best to use room temperature extra virgin olive oil. Use your fingertips to apply the olive oil throughout your hair, starting from the scalp working your way down to the ends. Wrap your head in a towel & let set for 30 minutes. Sometimes I leave it on for an hour for extra conditioning. Wash the olive oil out of your hair, shampoo & condition.
What are your hair secrets???? Feel free to leave comments with your own hair tips!